HUD Info

  HUD is an Equal Housing Opportunity Program


Q.  Are there any requirements to be a resident of a Christian Housing building?

A.  Yes, residents must fall under a certain income level to be eligible for housing at one of these facilities.  Total family income must fall within the establish limits established by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).  The individual must be at least 62 years of age or they must be 18 years of age and older who have mobility impaired needs that require the unique features of a handicap unit.

Residents pay approximately 30% of their adjusted income.  This is calculated in accordance with HUD regulations.  Then, HUD pays the remaining portion of the established contract rent amount.

Q.  What is HUD?

A.  HUD stands for Housing and Urban Development.  It is a federal program and cabinet of the United States that has been in existence since 1965.  Matters related to home ownership and rental falls within the jurisdiction of HUD. This includes safety issues, housing discrimination, senior housing, home repair and homeowner’s insurance. HUD also handles a number of initiatives designed as incentive programs for specific sectors of society, such as low-income families.  (Source:

Q.  What is the Section 8 rental assistance program?

A.  Section 8 rental assistance program refers to a federal program in the United States that is designed to help low and moderate income families and individuals rent privately owned housing or apartments.  Section 8 refers to the part of the U.S. Housing Act of 1937 that implemented this program originally.  It is administered on a national basis by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and locally by public housing authorities (PHAs) and other organizations.  The program allows tenants to pay approximately 30% to 40% of their income towards their monthly rent, while the PHA pays the remainder of the rent.